[Qemu-discuss] Translation of guest physical address to host virtual/hos

From: Aleksandar Milenkoski
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Translation of guest physical address to host virtual/host physical address
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 18:27:14 +0000 (UTC)

Dear All,

I am working on a project where I need to translate qemu-guest physical addresses to host virtual/physical addresses.

I am using VMI (virtual machine introspection) to introspect into the qemu process (the KVM VM) and to read guest physical addresses stored in virtio ring buffer descriptors. Therefore, I am looking for a simple way to translate the qemu physical addresses to host virtual addresses at the host side. (i.e., to extract as less info as possible from the qemu process).

I read online that in previous versions, qemu stored the physical RAM base in the variable phys_ram_base, so that the host virtual address could be obtained as follows:

host_virtual = phys_ram_base + guest_physical_address

Is something like this possible in newer versions of qemu (e.g., how could I obtain the qemu-physical base address -- the former phys_ram_base?)

Many thanks in advance,
Aleks