[Qemu-discuss] WinXP Guest: New hardware found - VGA controller

From: Joe
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] WinXP Guest: New hardware found - VGA controller
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 01:00:26 +0100

I'm trying Qemu (2.8.0) on Slackware GNU Linux 14.2 (64-bit) host.
I've a Windows XP (guest) raw image which was working with Qemu times ago (I used it on an older Slackware version as host system).

Now I launch qemu with the following command:
-----
qemu-system-i386 \
   -m 2G \
   -net nic,model=rtl8139 \
   -net user,smb=/mnt/share \
   -drive file=newXP-15G.img,format=raw,index=0,media=disk \
   -drive file=/tmp/ramdisk/ntfs-ramdisk-300M,format=raw,index=1,media=disk \
   -enable-kvm
-----

The system boots up regularly, but when it has almost complete, a "New Hardware found" pops up and it offer a search for the proper driver, then it doesn't find anything.
If I look at Windows XP "device manager" I can see a yellow question mark on a device: "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)".

If I well understood by reading Qemu man page, the default video card emulated should be a Cirrus model and it should be recognized by XP. Anyway I tried also to add:

-vga std

But also this time It can't be managed by any driver and device manager reports the yellow question mark also this time.

Any suggest to solve?
Thank you in advance folks!   :)