Re: [Qemu-discuss] q35+usb3 not working with Windows 10 guest

From: Xi Shen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] q35+usb3 not working with Windows 10 guest
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 12:36:33 +0000

I let the guest Windows finished update and reboot the guest, now USB 3 works in the guest. I think you are right, it is guest driver issue.

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 8:46 PM Jakob Bohm <address@hidden> wrote:
On 02/01/2017 12:40, Xi Shen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My host setting is:
>
> - Gentoo Linux 64bit
> - libvirt + qemu + virt-manager + spice
>
> My guest is:
>
> - Windows 10 64bit
> - chipset is q35
> - Usb controller is usb 3

Have you checked for USB driver versions in the Guest?

A few months ago, Microsoft released an update that broke several USB3
drivers, including some for Intel chipsets.  On Windows 10, you cannot
refuse Microsoft updates, so this may be the issue.

> After setting up the VM. I installed the SPICE guest tools, and the
> display driver. And I am able to copy/paste between my host and guest,
> and I am able to adjust my guest screen resolution.
>
> However, when I plug in a usb disk and try to redirect it to my guest
> from Spice client, the device is shown as "Mass storage" but with an
> exclamation mark which indicate it does not work.
>
> Then I changed the guest usb controller to usb 2, and try again, and
> the usb disk is correctly redirected to my guest.
>
> I just want to know if I missed some configuration or guest driver, or
> it is simply that q35 + usb3 is not yet supported in Windows guest.

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.  https://www.wisemo.com
Transformervej 29, 2860 Søborg, Denmark.  Direct +45 31 13 16 10