[Qemu-discuss] storage for qemu images

From: Patrick Dumais
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] storage for qemu images
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:32:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, I'm trying to figure out where is the best place to store qemu disk images.

I am using qcow2 format on a raid1 built from 2 7200RPM hdd.
I am considering moving the images on a ssd (not raid). The move to ssd would increase performances but the drawback is that I would not be on raid1 anymore (and it is not an option for me right now to make a raid1 ssd)

Knowing how the block cache works under linux, and the fact that I have 64gig of ram on my server, I'm wondering if the ssd would make a big difference anyway. All blocks read from the storage device will end up in the block cache making the backing device speed irrelevant to some degree. Am I right? So I'm tempted to keep the images on the raid device.

Any thoughts?

Patrick Dumais