Re: [Qemu-discuss] how to setup a watchdog?

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] how to setup a watchdog?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 16:47:29 +0100

On 16/01/2016 11:43, lejeczek wrote:
hi everybody, I tried to get a help on libvirt mailing list but not luck, I hope maybe here?

I'm trying Qemu's watchdog.
My understanding was that hardware (here qemu's watchdog) would take
action, eg. cold reboot) the system if there is no ping from the OS watchdog, so I
thought stopping watchdog service in VM should be a quick test.

I have this in the guest:

    <watchdog model='i6300esb' action=''>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x08' function='0x0'/>
    </watchdog>

and I see /dev/watchdog in my guest. Yet nothing happens, guest runs uninterrupted.
I must be missing something, an expert said it's config problem?
many thanks

In Linux there is a setting determining if closing the
/dev/watchdog file handle (e.g. by stopping the watchdog
daemon) stops the watchdog timer, or lets the time keep
running until it times out and takes the configured action.

You may want to check what that setting has been set to in
your guest VM.

Enjoy

Jakob