Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to send a message from guest machine to host

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to send a message from guest machine to host
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 12:41:35 +0100

On 11/11/2015 12:12, Jimmy Situ wrote:
Dear All,

I looking for a method to send a message from my guest machine to the host side when my program on guest machine is finished. I have a monitor on the QEMU QMP side, it is possible to send a message by using QMP on the guest machine?

Or there is a better way?

Thanks

Jimmy
The common methods from easiest to most complicated:

1. If you want to shut down the virtual machine at that
  point anyway, just do so, when the shutdown tells the
  VM to power off, qemu will exit and/or signal QMP.

2. Have your program create a file on a shared file
  location, then your code on the guest (or another host)
  can detect its appearance and proceed.

3. Have your program send a "network" message (such as
  sending a packet to a port on the host) which will
  signal your code on the host (or another guest).

Enjoy

Jakob