[Qemu-discuss] Possible to uniquely identify KVM guests?

From: Caspar Smit
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Possible to uniquely identify KVM guests?
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 13:45:50 +0200

Hi All,

I searched the mailinglist archives for an answer but couldn't find
any so I hope this question wasn't asked already.

I'm looking for a way to uniquely identify a KVM guest on different
hosts (to prevent running a single license multiple times).

For instance I have a Windows 7 KVM Guest running an application which
requires a license. Once the license is installed it is possible to
clone the VM to a different identical host (keeping all UUID's and MAC
adresses of the vNIC the same) and the license still works because
there is no difference.

Is there a way to distinguish clones of the same VM from inside the
Windows Guest? Maybe some unique Registry key?

Kind regards and thanks in advance,
Caspar Smit