[Qemu-discuss] qemu-system-arm and armhf

From: benoit ROUSSELLE
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] qemu-system-arm and armhf
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 09:24:23 +0200

Dear All,

i am running a debian8 amd64 machine and i would like to emulate an:
armhf machine with kernel > 3.8 (docker testing)

following this: https://gist.github.com/bdsatish/7476239
i succeed to have a debian7 (3.2 kernel) working fine, but kernel is too old. It seems kernel cannot be updated from that point.

I have tried the same approach with debian8:
netboot install, with a vexpress machine (-M vexpress-a9 -cpu cortex-a9) : does not start at all.
May be because vexpress kernel does not exist in installer for debian8.

I am pretty new to arm, and i don't know what is the meaning/relation between vepxress types of machines and arm different architectures.

my last try with ubuntu trusty armhf port, was a bit better, as machine starts to boot but freeze when asking the first question at installation time:
qemu-system-arm -m 1024M -sd armdisk.img -M vexpress-a9 -cpu cortex-a9 -kernel ./netboot/vmlinuz -initrd ./netboot/initrd.gz -append "root=/dev/ram"  -no-reboot

Any hint would be greatly appreciated :D
Thanks,
Benoit.