Re: [Qemu-discuss] Help with static ip on qemu

From: Jerry Stuckle
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Help with static ip on qemu
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 09:25:40 -0400

On 3/29/2015 5:26 AM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
> I want to give my qemu vm a single static ip address that I can access
> from the host...how do I do this?
>
> I am a complete n00b at tun, tap, ip tuntap, etc
>
> I don't care about anything else but the host and the vm talking to each
> other over IPv4, somehow.

The VM doesn't have an IP address - the guest OS does (the VM does have
its own MAC address, however).  You need to set it up in the guest OS.

You can do it by either setting a static address in the guest, or if you
have a DHCP server you can configure (i.e. a router), you can use DHCP
in the guest and set the DHCP server to assign a specific IP to the VM's
MAC address.

Jerry