[Qemu-discuss] QEMU, VGA Pass-through, SLI

From: Omar Pakker
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] QEMU, VGA Pass-through, SLI
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 23:18:23 +0100

Hi,

I hopped on the IRC channel today and got the suggestion to send this to the mailing list and CC Gerd (hoping I have the right email...), hence this mail.

I've been experimenting a bit with VGA pass-through using nVidia GPUs in QEMU and attempted to take it a step further by trying to get the guest system to do SLI as well.
At the moment the pass-through itself works great (the guest could still be faster but, as you all probably know, certain flags get you a very nice 'Error Code 43' problem in your guest..)

I'm experimenting with 2 GTX 970 cards and both are working fine in the guest system, except that the nVidia driver on the guest does not currently detect that it should be able to do SLI.
Is it at all possible to use SLI with QEMU VGA pass-through at this point in time??

Some basic info of my current set-up, just in case:

Host System:
Arch Linux x86_64
Kernel 3.19
Nouveau
QEMU 2.2.1-3
OVMF 16229-1

GPUs unbound at runtime and bound to VFIO-PCI using a shell script.
    echo [pciaddr] > /sys/bus/pci/devices/[pciaddr]/driver/unbind
    echo [vendor] [device] > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id

Guest System:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
nVidia 347.88
Q35 chipset
OVMF_x64.bin

GPUs attached to ioh3420 as follows (audio module as well but not included here)
    -device ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,id=pcie0,port=1,chassis=1,multifunction=on
    -device ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,id=pcie1,port=2,chassis=2,multifunction=on
    -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,addr=00.0,bus=pcie0,multifunction=on,x-vga               =on
    -device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,addr=00.0,bus=pcie1,multifunction=on

Hardware used:
2x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming, BIOS version F13.

Regards,
Omar