Re: [Qemu-discuss] error - Guest has not initialized the display yet.

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] error - Guest has not initialized the display yet.
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 21:08:05 +0000

On 25 March 2015 at 18:51, anand.k <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am trying QEMU for the first time. I am trying to emulate a ARM machine
> using qemu-system-arm.
>
> But when I executed this command,
> $ qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -kernel zImage.integrator -initrd
> arm_root.img -serial "/dev/ttyS0" -display sdl

You appear to be trying to run a kernel for an Integrator board
on a versatilepb model. This won't work -- you must run a
kernel configured for the board model you're using.

You're also trying to send the guest's serial output to the
host serial port. Are you sure you want to do that? Sending
it to stdout or to a TCP port is more usual.

> QEMU window opens up, but I am getting this error "Guest has not initialized
> the display yet"
> I had enabled -sdl option while configuring qemu, but I am still getting
> that error.

This isn't an error. It is just QEMU telling you that the guest OS
has not yet done what it needs to do to turn on the emulated graphics
card and display output.

In this case the likely reason for this is that you've tried to
run a kernel that won't work on this board model, and so it has
crashed before it got anywhere. You can also see this message
if the kernel has no graphics support built in and is just doing
output to serial console.