[Qemu-discuss] qcow2 - overlay vs snapshot

From: vrms
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] qcow2 - overlay vs snapshot
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 08:40:42 +0800

I am running a debian server on a KVM/qemu machine. we are using overlays (1 to max 3 levels) when testing new things and commit them back to base when tests where good.

Now I accidentally saw that qcow2 (or maybe qemu in general) aswell allows snapshots and I wonder what the difference between the mechanics of those 2 is.
Can someone kindly explain that? Furthermore I know that
in vmware some people use snapshots for backup purposes and wonder whether that would be a concept wioth qemu snapshots as well. Would it?