Re: [Qemu-discuss] Help needed - LGPL Violation and Legal Threats

From: Dale R. Worley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Help needed - LGPL Violation and Legal Threats
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 09:29:41 -0500

> > I've recently been made aware of an organization that seems to be
> > pretty actively sending out nastygrams to people who redistribute
> > their software which is a QEMU derivative.

> > Any insight would be appreciated! I've communicated with the FSF
> > and the Software Freedom Conservancy, and they agree that
> > hypothetically it is a violation. I just need someone to confirm
> > that the contents of that linux binary are QEMU. From the looks of
> > it, if this company is filing lawsuits, it puts a MAJOR damper on
> > the open source community, so any help is appreciated.

Are they sending out nastygrams, or are they filing lawsuits?  There's
a world of difference between the two.  Pretty much anyone can send
out nastygrams for any reason.  (No doubt there are certain specific
things you can can't say -- check with your lawyer.)  Filing a lawsuit
based on claims you know are bogus is legally actionable.

As always, if this really matters to you, talk to a good lawyer.

Dale