Re: [Qemu-discuss] A question on QEMU networking and openVPN

From: Dale R. Worley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] A question on QEMU networking and openVPN
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:47:07 -0400

> From: Chan Kim <address@hidden>

> In the qemu-ifup script I have this line. ($1 is the name of tap
> device (tap0) passed by qemu executable)
> /usr/sbin/openvpn --mktun --dev $1 --user id -un`
> What does this line mean?

I am no expert here, but I believe that the openvpn command can do a
number of different things.  If "--mktun" is specified, it does only
what the manual page says for that option:

       --mktun
              (Standalone) Create a persistent tunnel on platforms which  sup‐
              port  them  such  as Linux.  Normally TUN/TAP tunnels exist only
              for the period of time that an application has them open.   This
              option  takes advantage of the TUN/TAP driver's ability to build
              persistent tunnels that live through multiple instantiations  of
              OpenVPN  and  die  only  when they are deleted or the machine is
              rebooted.

Dale