Re: [Qemu-discuss] rom: requested regions overlap qemu-system-mipsel

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] rom: requested regions overlap qemu-system-mipsel
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 12:54:18 +0100

On 23 June 2014 01:28, Davor Herga <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Following some guidelines for using the qemu, I tried to use
> qemu-system-mipsel
> for the brcm47xx using openwrt-brcm47xx-generic-vmlinux-initramfs.elf, build
> by openwrt buildroot tools.
>
> Using the command -
>
> qemu-system-mipsel -kernel openwrt-brcm47xx-generic-vmlinux-initramfs.elf
>
> I got -
>
> rom: requested regions overlap (rom prom. free=0x00000000004670cc,
> addr=0x0000000000002000)
> rom loading failed

This probably means your kernel was built to load at the wrong
address (likely zero). The PROM is at 0x2000, and something
else (ie the kernel) is overlapping it, which must mean the
other thing started in the wrong place. Chances are the
kernel should be at a higher start address. I don't know
MIPS but you've probably built the kernel wrongly or for
the wrong board.

thanks