[Qemu-discuss] i386 qemu, coreboot and FILO

From: Martin Ertsås
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] i386 qemu, coreboot and FILO
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 08:35:00 +0200

Hi.

I have made a disk image running android, which I can start with

qemu-system-i386 \
    -name "Sunrise"
    -enable-kvm \
    -smp 1 \
    -m 256 \
    -kernel bzImage \
    -initrd initrd.cpio.gz \
    -append "root=/dev/vda console=ttyS0 vga=0x389
androidboot.hardware=sunrise" \
    -drive
"file=sunrise.disk,if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk0,format=raw,cache=none" \
    -device
virtio-blk-pci,scsi=off,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4,drive=drive-virtio-disk0,id=virtio-disk0,bootindex=1
\
    -vga std \
    -serial stdio \
    -soundhw hda
    -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=br0,id=nic1 \
    -netdev tap,id=br0

This works fine, but the same sunrise.disk have a menu.lst located at
/active/menu.lst on partition one. So I made a coreboot bios using FILO,
and made FILO look under hda1:/active/menu.lst. The menu.lst looks like:

title Sunrise
root (hd0,0)
kernel /active/bzImage root=/dev/vda console=ttyS0 vga=0x389
androidboot.hardware=sunrise
initrd /active/initrd.cpio.gz
boot

And my qemu commandline have then changed to:

qemu-system-i386 \
    -name "Sunrise"
    -enable-kvm \
    -smp 1 \
    -m 256 \
    -bios bios.bin \
    -drive
"file=sunrise.disk,if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk0,format=raw,cache=none" \
    -device
virtio-blk-pci,scsi=off,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4,drive=drive-virtio-disk0,id=virtio-disk0,bootindex=1
\
    -vga std \
    -serial stdio \
    -soundhw hda
    -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=br0,id=nic1 \
    -netdev tap,id=br0

However, FILO complains that it can not find hda1:/active/menu.lst

If I remove the -device virtio-blk-pci line and remove if=none from the
drive line, I can boot it, but I experience other weird behaviour. I
would also like to not have to change this bootup line to much, as block
device is more similar to what we will actually have on a real target.
Have anyone experienced something similar and can help me out? I have to
hypoteses:

1) The name of the drive is not hda1 when FILO starts, it's not vda
either, so if that is the case, someone with more qemu experience would
have to help me out here
2) The bios part of coreboot struggles to find the drive

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards
Martin Ertsås