Re: [Qemu-discuss] Trouble starting various qemu-system-*.exe on Windows

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Trouble starting various qemu-system-*.exe on Windows 7
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 23:32:04 +0100

On 11 June 2014 00:50, Steere, Andy <address@hidden> wrote:
> Curious I wrote a simple script to start all the qemu-system-*.exe files in
> the distribution without any arguments. The results were mixed. Some of the
> qemu exes start a qemu window. Others write to the event log and the last
> group does not write anything to stdout or stderr.

This is to some extent expected. Not all board models
can work with no arguments at all specified. The i386
PC model happens to ship with a BIOS image which is
run by default, but not all hardware has a similar concept
(some of our models are of development boards where
you're expected to provide the equivalent of the ROM
image yourself).

Common errors that can result in no useful output:
 * forgot to provide a kernel to run
 * provided a kernel but it only outputs on serial and you
   didn't tell QEMU to send serial output anywhere useful
 * guest kernel is misconfigured and crashes before
   printing any output
 * guest kernel is for a completely different machine and
   has no chance of working

thanks