[Qemu-discuss] merging qcows2 snapshot image with base file into another

From: Robin Bussell
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] merging qcows2 snapshot image with base file into another file
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 15:23:50 +0000

Hi Folks,

        I’m new to qemu so forgive me if I use the wrong terminology here:

I have a base linux qcows2 image (base.bak) and two development images which use that file as a backing file (dev1.img and dev2.img).

I now wish to convert dev1 machine’s disk image into a standalone image that is independent of base.bak.

I can only seem to find instructions on merging snapshots back into base files, which would, in my understanding, leave dev2.img broken as its backing file has changed.

I’m sure I’m just missing a concept somewhere, can anyone enlighten me?

Many Thanks,

Robin Bussell,