[Qemu-discuss] ivshmem compatibility broken from v1.4.0

From: arvind vasudev
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] ivshmem compatibility broken from v1.4.0
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 16:08:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I was using ivshmem (nahanni) with the following command line options which
were working in version 1.4.0:

qemu-system-x86_64 -hda ubuntu.13-04.x86-64.20130424.raw.img  -enable-kvm -m
1024m -cpu host
-chardev socket,id=nahanni,path=/tmp/nahanni -device
ivshmem,chardev=nahanni,size=32M,ioeventfd=on,vectors=1

When I try to use this with the versions newer than 1.5.0, I get the following
error:

qemu_chr_fe_claim_no_fail: error chardev "(null)" already used

I checked and found the patch which was merged which causes this failure:
http://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=commitdiff;h=456d60692310e7ac25cf822cc1e98192ad636ece

I am passing in the correct id, and not using the same one anywhere else. It
seems that the chardev argument is not being handled properly in this case.

Can someone explain how this is suppose to work in the newer versions of qemu?
Btw, I did also try v1.7.0 as well, which has the same behavior.

Thanks,
Arvind.