[Qemu-discuss] PCI device limit?

From: Scott Sullivan
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] PCI device limit?
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 10:07:35 -0400

Hello,

I am using QEMU 1.7.0. With this version, I am able to add up to 32 PCI devices. If I attempt to add anything more, my VMs QEMU process shuts itself down shortly after I select the kernel to boot in Grub.

Per this page:

http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/PCIBridgeHotplug#Roadmap

It sounds like I need to start QEMU with "-M 1.6" ? However that appears to be an invalid option to qemu-system-x86_64. What's curious, is that on old QEMU-KVM, I am able to add all the way up to 52 PCI devices (virtio disks) without any issues. Is there something I need to do on QEMU to enable the PCI bridge? In the test scenario, the arguments given to QEMU and QEMU-KVM were the same.