[Qemu-discuss] Can't dump qemu-kvm output to console or log

From: Timothy Rice
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Can't dump qemu-kvm output to console or log
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 10:01:04 +1100

Hello all,

I am new to the list. I joined because I am having a slight problem making
qemu do exactly what I want.

I've been playing around with qemu-kvm to see what is required to create a
very minimal Linux system. I'm building it in a raw image file with an ext4
filesystem, syslinux/extlinux bootloader.

The image boots correctly in qemu-kvm but I'd like to have the boot messages
also output to a terminal or log file on the host.

There is a method here which I thought I got to work previously:
  http://tjworld.net/wiki/Linux/KvmQemuSerialMonitor

But now when I try using this method the console goes to the qemu monitor
prompt and the log file is created but left empty.

I've also tried using "-chardev file,id=vm1,path=vm.log" according to

http://doc.opensuse.org/products/draft/SLES/SLES-kvm_sd_draft/cha.qemu.running.html
and "-serial file:vm.log" according to
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_qemu

For more information, see my thread on the Archlinux forum where I ask for help
(but so far no responses):

It has details on the exact commands used including the way the image was
set up.

The host OS is Arch Linux. I have qemu version 1.7.0, libvirt 1.2.0 and linux
3.12.6.

Please let me know if you need to know more. Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Tim Rice
--
PhD Candidate