[Qemu-discuss] i386 emulation on ARM (Raspberry Pi)

From: Mike Skinner
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] i386 emulation on ARM (Raspberry Pi)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 19:12:38 +1100

Hi Everyone,

I have a Rasbian installation on a Raspberry Pi (ARM processor).
qemu is installed - version 1.7.0+dfsg-2+b1

I can boot from several ISOs (gparted 486, various WinXP install disks), however I cannot boot from an IMG (raw or qcow2) file or VDI disk once WinXP is installed. I have even setup a WinXP disk image using Qemu on Windows (and can run it successfully on Windows), however once I transfer the disk image to the Raspberry Pi - it will not boot.

I see the SeaBios version string, an iPXE line, then "Booting from Hard Disk..." then "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrol+Alt+Del to restart". I am using the following parameters:

qemu-system-i386 -L Bios -m 192 -vga std -localtime -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no,downscript=no -no-acpi -cpu pentium -name WinXP -hda xp.img -boot c

I have also tried the FreeDOS img (from http://wiki.qemu.org/Testing) with the same parameters as above - except for hda which points to a different img file. I see the SeaBios version string, an iPXE line, then "Booting from Hard Disk..." then ".Error!."

Does anyone have any ideas?

Kind Regards (and Merry Christmas),

Mike