[Qemu-discuss] more memory, more resolution

From: Florin Andrei
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] more memory, more resolution
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:36:29 -0800

I am using qemu-1.4.0, the host is Ubuntu 13.04 64bit on Intel Core i5-3320M. The guest is ARM hardware, running Raspbian (Debian Wheezy for Raspberry Pi). To create the virtual machine, I've followed this howto:

http://xecdesign.com/qemu-emulating-raspberry-pi-the-easy-way/

This is the qemu script, which runs just fine as-is:

qemu-system-arm -kernel kernel-qemu -cpu arm1176 -m 256 -M versatilepb \
    -no-reboot -serial stdio \
    -append "root=/dev/sda2 panic=1 rootfstype=ext4 rw" \
    -hda 2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.img

The guest boots into text mode, everything okay so far. I am able to do OS updates, run various text-mode apps, all is good.

I launch the X environment with startx, which also runs fine, but the resolution is very small. It might be okay for a simple text editor, but insufficient for any serious X application. If I add "-vga std" to the options, I get this error:

Error: standard VGA not available

What can I do to increase resolution under X Window?

Also, I tried to increase the memory to the guest (-m 512 or -m 1024) but then the qemu process is launched as a solid black window; the guest OS may not be even running for all I know.

Is there a way to give the guest more RAM?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/