[Qemu-discuss] Network problems with qemu-system-arm and u-boot

From: pietrushnic
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Network problems with qemu-system-arm and u-boot
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 01:46:01 +0200

Hi all,
I'm trying to obtain IP address in u-boot using qemu-system-arm 1.4.91 (commit:38ebb39). Unfortunately u-boot is unable to retrieve packets until I add '-net dump,file=/tmp/dump.pcap' to qemu command line. I'm using bridged tap interface as it was described here: http://toast.djw.org.uk/qemu.html <http://toast.djw.org.uk/qemu.html>.

I tried ARM testing image from http://wiki.qemu.org/download/arm-test-0.2.tar.gz to verify my network configuration and it works fine without additional traffic dump, so it looks like it is not configuration issue. I'm running in to this issue on Ubuntu 12.04, but previously tested on Debian wheezy and there was no problem with obtaining packets by u-boot.

So my question is, if someone heard about such anomaly ?
How it is possible that packets cannot get through interface without additional dump (delay ?) and magically pass through if dump command was added ?
Any thoughts how it could be debugged from qemu side ?

If you need additional information about configuration, just let me know what can help.

Regards,
pietrushnic