[Qemu-discuss] qemu-kvm numa topology exposure

From: Ivelin Slavov
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] qemu-kvm numa topology exposure
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:30:48 +0200

I am trying to achieve the following scenario.

I have a linux box with 4 numa nodes, each with 6 cpus. In order to achieve better kvm guest performance, I pin each vcpu to a set of cpus, preferably in the same numa cell.

For example, if I want to start a 12 core guest, I pin the first 6 vcpus to the cpuset in NUMA node 1 and the second 6 to the cpuset in NUMA node 2.

So far so good, the problems start to occur when I try to expose that topology to the guest i.e. make the guest aware that it has two cpusets on 2 NUMA nodes.

I though that if I use the options -smp 12,sockets=2,cores=6,threads=1 to qemu-kvm it will most probably split them in half, grouping the first 6 in one socket and the second 6 in another and use -numa option to set 2 numa nodes on the appropriate vcpus. So my questions are as follows:

  1. Will the -numa option do its thing? In the documentation it is said it is for numa simulation. If its simulation, doesn't that mean it will hurt performance? What I need is a way to say to the guest: "These cpus are on the same NUMA node" ( even if they are not ). Can this be achieved and is this the way to do it ?

  2. It seems there is a bug on qemu (1.2.0) and the topology is exposed very badly. When I set the CPU topology to (for example) -smp 9,sockets=3,cores=3,threads=1, for some weird reason, inside the guest I see them ( using lstopo ) arranged in three sockets , but 4 cores on the first, 4 cores on the second and 1 core on the third ( 4|4|1 ). I figured, it splits them to powers of 2, rather than equally. I also observed the same behavior with sockets=2,cores=10;sockets=2,cores=18 , you name it, always splits them not by half, but by powers of 2 ( i.e. 8|2 and 16|2 ). sockets=2,cores=8 works fine though ( which is kind of expected). Has anyone experienced something like that?

    Any suggestions are welcome.

    Thanks in advance,

    Ivelin Slavov