Re: [Qemu-discuss] how to list sub-options in QMP like "?" in qemu monit

From: Mike Lovell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] how to list sub-options in QMP like "?" in qemu monitor windows
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:54:46 -0600

On 08/10/2012 03:26 AM, TianXu wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a tiny question about QMP, hope to get answer from mail list. As I
> know, in qemu monitor window "?" is a very useful command to list supported
> sub-option, ( "pci_add ?" to list which kind of PCI device can be add) My
> question is that any command can do the same thing in QMP?
>
> Thanks,
> Xu

i don't think there is a way to get help for a particular qmp command
through a qmp request. the closest thing i could find is
'query-commands' but that just returns a list of available commands.
there kind of is a way around this by using 'human-monitor-command' and
passing 'pci_add ?' as the command-line argument. i wouldn't expect that
there would be much desire to add a qmp command to do this since qmp is
meant to be a programmatic interface and the things talking qemu should
know what the options are. if its going to be a person interacting with
the qemu, they should use the older monitor interface.

also, it doesn't look like there is pci_add support in qmp yet. the
documentation about what is available is in the qmp-commands.hx file or
in QMP/qmp-commands.txt if you've built it.

mike