[Qemu-discuss] Setting CPU features

From: Glandvador
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Setting CPU features
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 10:47:46 +0100

Hi,

I want to emulate my headless embedded device with a virtual machine, as it is much easier to test upgrades. I am able to set the RAM amount, the NIC interfaces, harddrives, etc., but I didn't yet found a way to set a CPU with specific features. My CPU is an AMD Geode LX which is mostly a i686, but without some instructions. The most important missing instruction(s) are the NOPL ones. This instruction can be generated by binutils, depending of parameters. In the past, I have already been touched by this problem, when Fedora released a glibc with this instruction enabled. On the virtual machine the upgrade gone smooth, but on real system it was a nightmare.

So, it is a way with qemu to set a i686 CPU without some instructions?

Regards,
glandvador