qemu-devel

Ideas on dealing with mttcg_enabled/use_icount globals

From: Anton Johansson
Subject: Ideas on dealing with mttcg_enabled/use_icount globals
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 12:44:58 +0100

Hi Phil,

I've been staring myself blind trying to deal with
qemu_tcg_mttcg_enabled()/icount_enabled() and I'm wondering if you have
an ideas.

I'm leaning towards moving these globals to some TCG accelerator
specific state (TCGState?) that's initialized once we know how many/what
cpus are in the system. The problem is then making sure all uses have
access to this state.

For qemu_tcg_mttcg_enabled() there is one trickier use in
tcg_region_init(). We probably need to delay the initialization of the
tcg region until we know the cpus in the system, this is getting close
to the configuration/initialization order issues we've discussed
previously so I'm not sure how easy this would be.

As for icount_enabled(), I'm not entirely sure yet, its uses are a lot
more scattered throughout the codebase and I'm still going through them.

Cheers,
--
Anton Johansson
rev.ng Labs Srl.