qemu-devel

Re: how do the iotests pick a machine model to run on ?

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: how do the iotests pick a machine model to run on ?
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 18:05:57 +0100

On 19/01/2024 17.18, Peter Maydell wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 at 15:26, Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
(Also, we should probably put an entry for sh4 in machine_map,
because the default board type (shix) is about to be deprecated,
and the r2d board type is thus a better choice.)

The good news is if we add r2d to the machine_map, then
only 3 iotests fail:

  191 -- not sure exactly what's going on. QEMU complains
         "machine type does not support if=ide,bus=0,unit=1".
         Side note: the test harness seems to throw away the
         stderr from QEMU with this error message, leaving the
         test failure log rather uninformative. I had to
         run everything under strace to get hold of it.
  203 -- this wants a machine type that can be migrated;
         sh4 CPUs don't support migration, so the test
         fails because the 'migrate' command returns the error
         {"error": {"class": "GenericError", "desc": "State blocked by
non-migratable device 'cpu'"}}
  267 -- similarly, wants a machine that supports snapshots,
         so fails when the loadvm/savevm get the error
         Error: State blocked by non-migratable device 'cpu'

How should a test indicate "I need a machine type that
supports migration" ?

We could maybe add a flag to the machine_map to indicate whether the machine is capable of migration or not. In the latter case, we could skip all tests that are in the "migration" group ?

 Thomas