qemu-devel

Re: Request for Support: QEMU IPv6 Port Forwarding Issue

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: Request for Support: QEMU IPv6 Port Forwarding Issue
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 18:45:18 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 19 Mar 2024, Thomas Huth wrote:
On 19/03/2024 06.53, Srinivasu Kandukuri (MS/ECP2-ETAS-VOS) wrote:
Dear QEMU Support Team,

We are currently encountering difficulties in utilizing QEMU for starting a virtual machine image on Windows with IPv6 networking, specifically related to port forwarding. We are using QEMU emulator version 7.1.93 (v7.2.0-rc3-11946-gb68e69cdcc-dirty).

Our objective is to establish IPv6 network connectivity within the virtual machine and forward ports to allow external access. However, we are encountering errors when attempting to configure the port forwarding mechanism.

Here is the command we are using:

*qemu-system-x86_64: -netdev user,id=net1,ipv6=on,ipv6-net=fe80::5054:ff:fecd:585a/64,hostfwd=tcp::2210-[fe80::5054:ff:fecd:585a]:22*

However, upon executing this command, we encounter the following error:

*Invalid host forwarding rule 'tcp::2210-[fe80::5054:ff:fecd:585a]:22' (Bad guest address)*

We understand that the format for specifying host forwarding rules follows the pattern:

*protocol:[listen_address]:listen_port-[dest_address]:dest_port*

We believe that we are following this pattern correctly, but still, we are encountering errors.

Hi!

Looking at the code:

https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/blob/v8.2.0/net/slirp.c#L824

it seems like QEMU is only using inet_aton() here, which means IPv4 only, sorry, but this likely needs some additional changes first to support IPv6 addresses here.

Other than that, the [] in the help mean optional components so you don't need to put that in the command. But if it does not handle IPv6 addresses then maybe not only that's the problem. However since dest_address is optional and does not need to be specified you could try to leave that [fe80::5054:ff:fecd:585a] out completely then the rule should applie to all guests but if you only have one guest then it does not matter.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan

Thomas

Our primary concern is whether QEMU supports port forwarding for IPv6 networking. If it does, we kindly request your assistance in resolving this issue and providing guidance on the correct configuration for achieving our objective.

Could you please advise us on the proper usage of port forwarding with IPv6 networking in QEMU? Any insights, suggestions, or instructions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your attention to this matter. We look forward to your prompt response and assistance.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

*Kandukuri Srinivasu*

(MS/ECP2-ETAS-VOS)
Robert Bosch GmbH | Postfach 10 60 50 | 70049 Stuttgart | GERMANY | www.bosch.com Tel. +918061444397 | Mobile +91-88845-33393 | Fax +91 422 663-4104 | Srinivasu.Kandukuri@in.bosch.com <mailto:Srinivasu.Kandukuri@in.bosch.com>

Registered Office: Stuttgart, Registration Court: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14000;
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Prof. Dr. Stefan Asenkerschbaumer;
Managing Directors: Dr. Stefan Hartung, Dr. Christian Fischer, Dr. Markus Forschner,
Stefan Grosch, Dr. Markus Heyn, Dr. Frank Meyer, Dr. Tanja Rückert