qemu-devel

Re: ARM hypervisors

From: Trilok Soni
Subject: Re: ARM hypervisors
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 18:21:46 -0800

On 3/5/2024 5:59 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 at 13:40, RR NN <rnn59437@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>> ARM hypervisors (pKVM, Gunyah) can run x86 OSs?
>
> No. A hypervisor uses the host CPU's virtualization extensions
> to allow the guest code to run directly on the host CPU. This
> is why they're fast. This also means that they only work when
> the guest CPU is the same architecture as the host CPU.
> So you can run an x86 OS on an x86 host CPU, or an Arm
> OS on an Arm host CPU using a hypervisor, but you can't run
> a guest of the "wrong" architecture.

As explained above you can't run x86 Guest OS w/ above Hypervisors.

You can use the qemu/crosvm w/ above Hypervisors to do the ARM64
guest OS. You may be able to use Pixel device as well w/ the pKVM.

I also suggest that you don't do the "reactions" with gmail. It
doesn't help this conversation.

Let us know what exactly you would like to experiment with above
Hypervisors.

--
---Trilok Soni