qemu-devel

Re: possible deprecation and removal of some old QEMU Arm machine types

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: possible deprecation and removal of some old QEMU Arm machine types (pxa2xx, omap, sa1110)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:37:37 +0100

On 12/2/24 13:32, Peter Maydell wrote:

So I would like to explore whether we can deprecate-and-drop
some or all of them. This would let us delete the code entirely
rather than spending a long time trying to bring it up to scratch
for a probably very small to nonexistent userbase. The aim of this
email is to see if anybody is still using any of these and would be
upset if they went away. Reports of "I tried to use this machine
type and it's just broken" are also interesting as they would
strongly suggest that the machine has no real users and can be
removed.

The machines I have in mind are:

PXA2xx machines:

connex               Gumstix Connex (PXA255)
verdex               Gumstix Verdex Pro XL6P COMs (PXA270)

I can still run U-boot on these, but Gumstix webs are
slowly disappearing with the prebuilt images there were
sharing. Their wiki is also dead. I'm happy to use a stable
release for my pflash experiments.

OMAP2 machines:

n800                 Nokia N800 tablet aka. RX-34 (OMAP2420)
n810                 Nokia N810 tablet aka. RX-44 (OMAP2420)

For me these are broken since 2020 (commit 7998beb9c2 "arm/nseries:
use memdev for RAM"), this was discussed in
https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/f2f276a9-a6ad-a2f8-2fbc-f1aca5423f79@amsat.org/
but there was no clear consensus so I gave up testing them.