qemu-devel

RE: [Question] x86/microvm: why has_hotpluggable_cpus = false but hot(ub

From: Salil Mehta
Subject: RE: [Question] x86/microvm: why has_hotpluggable_cpus = false but hot(ub)plug APIs exist?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:15:25 +0000

I understand the intent but it would be better to remove these and bring
then back again if they are required in future.

  "/* hotplug (for cpu coldplug) */"

Above comment and the code are not exactly consistent even though
definitions of the {request_}unplug are empty.

> What is confusing is interface naming (HotplugHandler) which is not
> hotplug limited anymore.

{pre_}plug routines are common to {hot,cold}-plugged CPUs, therefore, it
makes sense to have them here but I am not sure it is necessary to have
{request_}unplug routines as part of this implementation. Absolutely, it
makes sense to have them part of the design/framework for future
extensibility in case even un-initialization of VM decides to use these.