qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 00/21] Migration 20230428 patches

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/21] Migration 20230428 patches
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 13:57:55 +0100

On Wed, 3 May 2023 at 10:17, Juan Quintela <quintela@redhat.com> wrote:

> Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 May 2023 at 11:39, Juan Quintela <quintela@redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Richard, once that we are here, one of the problem that we are having is
> >> that the test is exiting with an abort, so we have no clue what is
> >> happening.  Is there a way to get a backtrace, or at least the number
> >
> > This has been consistently an issue with the migration tests.
> > As the owner of the tests, if they are not providing you with
> > the level of detail that you need to diagnose failures, I
> > think that is something that is in your court to address:
> > the CI system is always going to only be able to provide
> > you with what your tests are outputting to the logs.
>
> Right now I would be happy just to see what test it is failing at.
>
> I am doing something wrong, or from the links that I see on richard
> email, I am not able to reach anywhere where I can see the full logs.
>
> > For the specific case of backtraces from assertion failures,
> > I think Dan was looking at whether we could put something
> > together for that. It won't help with segfaults and the like, though.
>
> I am waiting for that O:-)
>
> > You should be able to at least get the number of the subtest out of
> > the logs (either directly in the logs of the job, or else
> > from the more detailed log file that gets stored as a
> > job artefact in most cases).
>
> Also note that the test is stopping in an abort, with no diagnostic
> message that I can see.  But I don't see where the abort cames from:

So, as an example I took the check-system-opensuse log:
https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/jobs/4201998342

Use your browser's "search in web page" to look for "SIGABRT":
it'll show you the two errors (as well as the summary at
the bottom of the page which just says the tests aborted).
Here's one:

5/351 qemu:qtest+qtest-x86_64 / qtest-x86_64/migration-test ERROR
246.12s killed by signal 6 SIGABRT
>>> QTEST_QEMU_BINARY=./qemu-system-x86_64 QTEST_QEMU_IMG=./qemu-img
>>> MALLOC_PERTURB_=48
>>> QTEST_QEMU_STORAGE_DAEMON_BINARY=./storage-daemon/qemu-storage-daemon
>>> G_TEST_DBUS_DAEMON=/builds/qemu-project/qemu/tests/dbus-vmstate-daemon.sh
>>> /builds/qemu-project/qemu/build/tests/qtest/migration-test --tap -k
――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――― ✀ ―――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
stderr:
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
**
ERROR:../tests/qtest/migration-helpers.c:205:wait_for_migration_status:
assertion failed: (g_test_timer_elapsed() <
MIGRATION_STATUS_WAIT_TIMEOUT)
(test program exited with status code -6)
――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
▶ 6/351 ERROR:../tests/qtest/migration-helpers.c:205:wait_for_migration_status:
assertion failed: (g_test_timer_elapsed() <
MIGRATION_STATUS_WAIT_TIMEOUT) ERROR
6/351 qemu:qtest+qtest-aarch64 / qtest-aarch64/migration-test ERROR
221.18s killed by signal 6 SIGABRT

Looks like it failed on a timeout in the test code.

I think there ought to be artefacts from the job which have a
copy of the full log, but I can't find them: not sure if this
is just because the gitlab UI is terrible, or if they really
didn't get generated.

thanks
-- PMM