qemu-devel

Re: Why we should avoid new submodules if possible

From: Michal Suchánek
Subject: Re: Why we should avoid new submodules if possible
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 22:48:03 +0200

Hello,

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 07:00:59AM -0400, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> git submodules are awkward basically because they are an automated wget.
> I don't think an explicit wget is much better ... but
> looks like I'm alone in this. Oh well.
> So it will be a weird dance of wget a tarball, unpack, generate
> ISO and run. God help you if you need to patch the test - it's
> wget all the way down.

That's the problem - the submodules are not automated. They are
half-automated, and the rules for when the automation works and for when
the automation falls apart are not intellibible for the general Joe
Developer.

You might spend a few days studying how they behave exactly, and then you
will know. But unless you will use them every day you will forget again,
because the rules do not lend themselves to some abstraction easily
understood by humans.

Thanks

Michal