qemu-devel

Re: ui/cocoa.m compile error (Cocoa -> SDL)

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: ui/cocoa.m compile error (Cocoa -> SDL)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:19:49 +0100

+Markus/Daniel/Marc-Andre

On 17/1/22 17:07, Liviu Ionescu wrote:
On 17 Jan 2022, at 16:06, Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

This is newer versions of macOS being stricter about enforcing that
some operations are only permitted on the correct thread. Older versions
let QEMU/SDL get away with doing them on the "wrong" thread, which
all happened to work.

Ah, right, I remember this gave me a lot of headaches when I added the animated
LEDs to qemu-system-gnuarmeclipse, and in the end I had to rewrite the SDL code
to guarantee that graphical updates happen only on the main thread.

It looks like it's "code would need to be updated to fix the
problems that newer macOS complains about", which nobody has done.

Later this year I plan to add animated LEDs to qemu-system-arm too, so I might
face the same problems again.

Note, this topic has been discussed 2 years ago while I proposed an UI
visualizer:
https://wiki.qemu.org/Internships/ProjectIdeas/ArduinoVisualisation

The consensus was UI should not be addressed within QEMU itself, but
via an external helper, eventually using D-Bus. D-Bus support has been
recently merged:
https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/interop/dbus.html

If you think useful, I can contribute the patches back to upstream.

All contributions are welcomed for review. Even if a contribution is
not merged right away, you can see the mailing list as an archive for
previous attemps, in case a contributor gets stuck or have to switch
to another project, someone else can restart / keep working on earlier
series.