qemu-devel

Re: Best approach for supporting snapshots for QEMU's gdbstub?

From: Luis Machado
Subject: Re: Best approach for supporting snapshots for QEMU's gdbstub?
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 14:54:15 -0300

On 5/17/21 2:27 PM, Alex Bennée wrote:

Luis Machado <luis.machado@linaro.org> writes:

Hi,

On 5/14/21 1:06 PM, Alex Bennée wrote:
Hi,
I've been playing around with QEMU's reverse debugging support which
I have working with Pavel's latest patches for supporting virtio with
record/replay. Once you get the right command line it works well enough
although currently each step backwards requires replaying the entire
execution history until you get to the right point.
QEMU can quite easily snapshot the entire VM state so I was looking
see what the best way to integrate this would be. As far as I can tell
there are two interfaces gdb supports: bookmarks and checkpoints.
As far as I can tell bookmarks where added as part of GDB's reverse
debugging support but attempting to use them from the gdbstub reports:
    (gdb) bookmark
    You can't do that when your target is `remote'
so I guess that would need an extension to the stub protocol to
support?

Right. We don't support reverse step/next/continue for remote targets.
I think this would be the most appropriate way to implement this
feature in GDB. But it is not trivial.

You do because ";ReverseStep+;ReverseContinue+" is part of the gdbstub
negotiation handshake.

Interesting... I was looking at the vCont; packets for inferior movement. The regular c/C/s/S packet are deprecated and vCont; equivalents should be used instead.

It seems the reverse continue (bc) and reverse step (bs) packets can be used, but they are not vCont packets.

That's confusing. I suppose nobody took the time to implement bc/bs equivalents for vCont.

Out of interest how is rr implemented? It presents a gdb interface so I
thought it was some implemented using some remote magic.

I don't know. I have never used rr.

<snip>

We could of course just add a custom monitor command like the
qemu.sstep= command which could be used manually. However that would be
a QEMU gdbstub specific approach.

That would be an easy and quick way to allow GDB to control things in
QEMU, but I wouldn't say it is the best. Monitor commands are
basically a bypass of the RSP where GDB sends/receives commands
to/from the remote target.

We have some underlying commands we can set via the monitor including:

   monitor info replay
   monitor replay_seek <N>
   monitor replay_break <N>

The other thing would be to be more intelligent on QEMU's side and
save
snapshots each time we hit an event, for example each time we hit a
given breakpoint. However I do worry that might lead to snapshots
growing quite quickly.

GDB would need to be aware of such snapshots for them to be useful.
Otherwise GDB wouldn't be able to use them to restore state.

What does GDB need to know about them? Does it include something like
the icount at a particular point.

GDB needs to know they exist so the user can choose to go back to such snapshots. I haven't dealt with remote reverse execution implementations, but if this information can be exposed to

I'm curious at how a break and reverse-continue is meant to work if that
breakpoint is hit multiple times from the start of a run. You need to
know if the last time you hit a particular breakpoint was in fact the
last time before where the user was when they hit reverse-continue.

When you have record/replay on, there is no real "continue". GDB will instruction-step everything and will record register values and memory changes.

When you reverse instruction-step, GDB will restore the state for the previous snapshot. When you reverse continue, GDB will do the same and will move the state backwards snapshot by snapshot.

It is not very efficient.

So, in that sense, GDB will hit all of the breakpoints again. It doesn't keep track of how many times the breakpoint was hit. It only keeps track of how many instructions were recorded and what register/memory changes happened.

If you hit an instruction that GDB doesn't know how to calculate register/memory changes for, it will stop dead on its tracks. In that sense, it is also not very easy to maintain and takes a lot of instruction-parsing to work correctly.

No wonder there are more performatic solutions out there. :-)

Any thoughts/suggestions?