qemu-devel

Re: Mac OS real USB device support issue

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: Mac OS real USB device support issue
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 20:33:31 -0400

I just wanted to give you guys an update on this issue. The libusb people have
fixed the issue with USB device driver detaching on Mac OS. Here is where the
code for the fix is located: https://github.com/libusb/libusb/pull/911/commits.

I was able to build the library and connect it to QEMU on Mac OS 11.1. As I
write this email I am listening to mp3 files on my Mac OS 10.4 VM that is using
a real USB sound card. It isn't perfect sounding but definitely a leap forward
from where we were a month ago.

To download each commit in patch form, just append ".patch" to the patch's URL.
Apply the patches one by one using "patch -p1 < patch.txt".
Then open the Xcode project file and build the libusb target.
To locate the file I had to use this command in the terminal: cd
~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData
Then find out the path of the old libusb being used in QEMU: otool -L <QEMU's
path> | grep "libusb"
Then to have QEMU use the new library file, use this command:
install_name_tool -change <old path> <new libusb's path> <QEMU's path>

Please let me know if you need any help with building your own version of
libusb.