qemu-devel

Re: RFC: Memory region accesses where .valid.min_access_size < .impl.min

From: Jonathan Cameron
Subject: Re: RFC: Memory region accesses where .valid.min_access_size < .impl.min_access_size
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 10:39:28 +0100

On Fri, 14 May 2021 11:35:57 +0930
"Andrew Jeffery" <andrew@aj.id.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 2021, at 22:30, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 May 2021 14:36:27 +0200
> > Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > See also this patch from Francisco:
> > > https://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/msg636935.html
> > >
> > > And full unaligned access support from Andrew:
> > > https://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/msg461247.html
>
> Much better to use lore.kernel.org:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20170630030058.28943-1-andrew@aj.id.au/
>
> because...
>

> > Thanks - that's very similar to what I was carrying, but I think it
> > only covers the read case.  That's backed up by the comment:
> > /* XXX: Can't do this hack for writes */
>
> It becomes easier to find Paolo's suggestion to fix that here:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/cd1aba90-176f-9ec6-3e2b-d1135156a96d@redhat.com/
>
> Would love to see this resolved! Unfortunately I haven't had the
> bandwidth to fix it all up for ... a long time now.

There is a bigger issue with writes.  You have to do a RMW cycle
because we only want to update part of a larger region.

It would worry me that this might have unexpected side effects
in some device implementations. It also looks a bit fiddly to do given
we'll need to pass the read callbacks to the write functions.

So the read path is straight forwards, but write less so.

Jonathan