qemu-devel

Re: [question] The source cannot recover, if the destination fails in th

From: Kunkun Jiang
Subject: Re: [question] The source cannot recover, if the destination fails in the last round of live migration
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 17:46:44 +0800

Hi Dave,

On 2021/5/6 21:05, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
* Kunkun Jiang (jiangkunkun@huawei.com) wrote:
Hi all,
Hi,

Recently I am learning about the part of live migration.
I have a question about the last round.

When the pending_size is less than the threshold, it will enter
the last round and call migration_completion(). It will stop the
source and sent the remaining dirty pages and devices' status
information to the destination. The destination will load these
information and start the VM.

If there is an error at the destination at this time, it will exit
directly, and the source will not be able to detect the error
and recover. Because the source will not call
migration_detect_error().

Is my understanding correct?
Should the source wait the result of the last round of destination ?
Try setting the 'return-path' migration capability on both the source
and destination;  I think it's that option will cause the destination to
send an OK/error at the end and the source to wait for it.
Thank you for your reply!
The 'return-path' migration capability solved my question. 😁

But why not set it as the default? In my opinion, it is a basic ability
of live migration. We need it to judge whether the last round of the
destination is successful in the way of 'precopy'.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Kunkun Jiang
Dave