qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v12 00/65] arm cleanup experiment for kvm-only build

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: Re: [RFC v12 00/65] arm cleanup experiment for kvm-only build
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 13:27:25 -0600

On 3/26/21 1:35 PM, Claudio Fontana wrote:
Here a new version of the series that enables kvm-only builds.

The goal here is to enable the KVM-only build, but there is
some additional cleanup too.

In this iteration I mostly fixed existing issues, and added an attempt
to put more content in cpu-sve. More splitting still required
for both cpu-sve and cpu-auth.

Comments welcome, thanks,

My number 1 takeaway is that I don't think we should bother trying so hard to compile out aarch64-specific code. The number of ifdefs seems to be quite high in the end.

The cleanup that I think would be better would be to *remove* the 32-bit-only qemu-system-arm and build it all into a single binary. That would reduce the number of build combinations and could in turn simplify or speed up CI.

We probably cannot remove qemu-arm for 32-bit linux-user binaries. But my guess is the amount of aarch64-specific code that would leak in is pretty minimal. The bulk of the difference is in the set of tcg helpers, which are segregated already.

The tcg/kvm split is much more interesting, and that part of the patch set looks pretty good.

r~