qemu-devel

Re: Misleading configure failure GLIB_SIZEOF_SIZE_T

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Misleading configure failure GLIB_SIZEOF_SIZE_T
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 13:32:36 +0000

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 at 12:53, Markus Armbruster <armbru@redhat.com> wrote:

> I just ran into this failure:
>
>     $ ../configure --disable-tools --disable-system --static
>
>     ERROR: sizeof(size_t) doesn't match GLIB_SIZEOF_SIZE_T.
>            You probably need to set PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR
>            to point to the right pkg-config files for your
>            build target

The interesting question here is why the earlier configure check:

write_c_skeleton;
if compile_object ; then
  : C compiler works ok
else
    error_exit "\"$cc\" either does not exist or does not work"
fi
if ! compile_prog ; then
    error_exit "\"$cc\" cannot build an executable (is your linker broken?)"
fi

didn't fail. That is deliberately early in configure in an attempt
to capture this kind of "the compiler can't link anything" case
before we get into specific feature testing.

thanks
-- PMM