qemu-devel

Win10 always takes 100% cpu power even when idle

From: Reinoud Zandijk
Subject: Win10 always takes 100% cpu power even when idle
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 17:11:22 +0100

Hi,

when executing Qemu with

  qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4G -smp cores=2 -M q35 -snapshot \
    -drive file=/home/reinoud/Downloads/Win10-demo.raw,format=raw \
    -rtc base=localtime,clock=host -spice port=5924,disable-ticketing=on \
    -vga qxl -usb -device usb-tablet -net nic -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no

my cpu usage in Windows10 *allways* reports 100% cpu usage. On the host system
its always 190%+ ie it is really taking two cores completely.

Using our NVMM accelerator makes it run a whole lot faster, as good as native
speed, but it always takes up the whole two processors too! Windows10 also
*allways* reports 100% cpu usage. Its not a startup thing for even when
letting it run for quite some time never reduces the cpu time.

In contrast, running NetBSD in the VM takes no CPU time at all when idle.

When Googling about this, I saw this come by quite often. Is there something
Qemu can do about this? What makes it spin like this and why is it Windows10
specific? This is a specific VM aware version too if I may believe it saying
so. I already replaced drivers to virtio etc but to no avail. Always 100% CPU
time for all CPUs.

Could this also be an ACPI thing?

With regards,
Reinoud