qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v2 00/13] vDPA software assisted live migration

From: Eugenio Perez Martin
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 00/13] vDPA software assisted live migration
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 18:25:59 +0100

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 9:28 AM Jason Wang <jasowang@redhat.com> wrote:

> 在 2021/3/16 上午3:48, Eugenio Pérez 写道:
> > This series enable shadow virtqueue for vhost-net devices. This is a
> > new method of vhost devices migration: Instead of relay on vhost
> > device's dirty logging capability, SW assisted LM intercepts dataplane,
> > forwarding the descriptors between VM and device. Is intended for vDPA
> > devices with no logging, but this address the basic platform to build
> > that support on.
> >
> > In this migration mode, qemu offers a new vring to the device to
> > read and write into, and disable vhost notifiers, processing guest and
> > vhost notifications in qemu. On used buffer relay, qemu will mark the
> > dirty memory as with plain virtio-net devices. This way, devices does
> > not need to have dirty page logging capability.
> >
> > This series is a POC doing SW LM for vhost-net devices, which already
> > have dirty page logging capabilities. For qemu to use shadow virtqueues
> > these vhost-net devices need to be instantiated:
> > * With IOMMU (iommu_platform=on,ats=on)
> > * Without event_idx (event_idx=off)
> >
> > And shadow virtqueue needs to be enabled for them with QMP command
> > like:
> >
> > {
> >    "execute": "x-vhost-enable-shadow-vq",
> >    "arguments": {
> >      "name": "virtio-net",
> >      "enable": false
> >    }
> > }
> >
> > Just the notification forwarding (with no descriptor relay) can be
> > achieved with patches 5 and 6, and starting SVQ. Previous commits
> > are cleanup ones and declaration of QMP command.
> >
> > Commit 11 introduces the buffer forwarding. Previous one are for
> > preparations again, and laters are for enabling some obvious
> > optimizations.
> >
> > It is based on the ideas of DPDK SW assisted LM, in the series of
> > DPDK's https://patchwork.dpdk.org/cover/48370/ . However, these does
> > not map the shadow vq in guest's VA, but in qemu's.
> >
> > Comments are welcome! Especially on:
> > * Different/improved way of synchronization, particularly on the race
> >    of masking.
> >
> > TODO:
> > * Event, indirect, packed, and others features of virtio - Waiting for
> >    confirmation of the big picture.
>

> So two things in my mind after reviewing the seires:
>
> 1) which layer should we implement the shadow virtqueue. E.g if you want
> to do that at virtio level, you need to deal with a lot of
> synchronizations. I prefer to do it in vhost-vDPA.

I'm not sure how to do that and avoid the synchronization. Could you
expand on that point?

> 2) Using VA as IOVA which can not work for vhost-vDPA
>

> > * vDPA devices:
>

> So I think we can start from a vhost-vDPA specific shadow virtqueue
> first, then extending it to be a general one which might be much easier.
>

> > Developing solutions for tracking the available IOVA
> >    space for all devices.
>

> For vhost-net, you can assume that [0, ULLONG_MAX] is valid so you can
> simply use VA as IOVA.

In the future revision it will be that way unless vdpa device reports
limits on the range of addresses it can translate.

> > Small POC available, skipping the get/set
> >    status (since vDPA does not support it) and just allocating more and
> >    more IOVA addresses in a hardcoded range available for the device.
>

> I'm not sure this can work but you need make sure that range can fit the
> size of the all memory regions and need to deal with memory region add
> and del.
>
> I guess you probably need a full functional tree based IOVA allocator.

The vDPA POC I'm testing with does not free the used memory regions at all.

For future development I'm reusing qemu's iova-tree. Not sure if I
will keep with it until the end of development, but I'm open to better
suggestions of course.