qemu-devel

Re: Windows 10 won't run on default x86_64 machine anymore

From: Isaku Yamahata
Subject: Re: Windows 10 won't run on default x86_64 machine anymore
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 14:32:52 -0700

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 05:19:17PM +0000,
"Daniel P. Berrangé" <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 05:58:04PM +0100, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > with the introduction of the following patch from 17th of February, Win10
> > won't boot anymore without explicitly setting the machine to be 5.2
> > compatible
> > like pc-1440fx-5.2. The default 6.0 will cause it to panic and gives as
> > reason
> > only "ACPI error".
> >
> > It might work to counter a bug in Linux but this is not the place to do the
> > patch. The BSDs don't care and will boot fine with full ACPI regardless of
> > the
> > machine chosen. Windows 10 however DOES care and gets confused.
> >
> > I think its better to revert this and fix Linux ;) or make it a selectable
> > feature as a workaround that's by default OFF :)
>
> I'm copying the people involved in creating/reviewing the commit you
> mention below.
>
> I've also added this regression to the 6.0 issues list, since being
> able to boot current Windows guests with the default machine type
> should be considered a release blocker IMHO.
>
>    https://wiki.qemu.org/Planning/6.0#Not_fixed_yet

It's about ACPI spec conformance. What qemu command line is used?
Smi is explicitly disabled (property smm=off), but guest requires legacy bios
mode?
What about enabling smm mode? or "-global PIIX4_PM.smm-compat=on"
(or "-global ICH9-LPC.smm-compat=on" if you use q35)

Thanks,
Isaku Yamahata
--
Isaku Yamahata <isaku.yamahata@gmail.com>