qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v1 00/38] arm cleanup experiment for kvm-only build

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: [RFC v1 00/38] arm cleanup experiment for kvm-only build
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 12:52:10 +0100

On 2/23/21 10:18 AM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> On 2/22/21 8:00 PM, Alex Bennée wrote:
>>
>> Claudio Fontana <cfontana@suse.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> this is an experiment, a cleanup based on and requiring the series
>>> "i386 cleanup PART 2":
>>>
>>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2021-02/msg05935.html
>>>
>>> The goal is to split the code between TCG-only and non-TCG code,
>>> fixing the KVM-only build (configure --disable-tcg),
>>>
>>> and laying the ground for further cleanups and the use of the
>>> new accel objects in the hierarchy to specialize the cpu
>>> according to the accelerator.
>>>
>>> This is known to be an early state, with probably a lot of work
>>> still needed.
>>
>> Well early work is looking pretty good:
>>
>>   18:59:22 [alex@idun:~/l/q/b/default] review/arm-cleanup-rfc1|… ± ls -lh
>> qemu-system-aarch64
>>   -rwxr-xr-x 1 alex alex 107M Feb 22 18:08 qemu-system-aarch64*
>>   18:59:29 [alex@idun:~/l/q/b/default] review/arm-cleanup-rfc1|… ± ls -lh
>> ../disable.tcg/qemu-system-aarch64
>>   -rwxr-xr-x 1 alex alex 76M Feb 22 17:47 ../disable.tcg/qemu-system-aarch64*
>
> :~)
>

>> and I've tested the KVM side works well enough with a basic image.

I am working on the next version, one thing I noticed among others as I get
close to the v2,
is the fact that tests/ for arm require tcg in many cases.

So there is even more cleanup needed to discern which are actually tcg-only,
and how to tweak the others into working also with only kvm available..

Ciao,

Claudio