qemu-devel

Re: block/throttle and burst bucket

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: block/throttle and burst bucket
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 11:59:34 +0100

Am 26.02.2021 um 13:33 hat Peter Lieven geschrieben:
> Am 26.02.21 um 10:27 schrieb Alberto Garcia:
> > On Thu 25 Feb 2021 06:34:48 PM CET, Peter Lieven <pl@kamp.de> wrote:
> >> I was wondering if there is a way to check from outside (qmp etc.) if
> >> a throttled block device has exceeded the iops_max_length seconds of
> >> time bursting up to iops_max and is now hard limited to the iops limit
> >> that is supplied?
> >>
> >> Would it be also a good idea to exetend the accounting to account for
> >> requests that must have waited before being sent out to the backend
> >> device?
> > No, there's no such interface as far as I'm aware. I think one problem
> > is that throttling is now done using a filter, that can be inserted
> > anywhere in the node graph, and accounting is done at the BlockBackend
> > level.
> >
> > We don't even have a query-block-throttle function. I actually started
> > to write one six years ago but it was never finished.
>

> A quick idea that came to my mind was to add an option to emit a QMP
> event if the burst_bucket is exhausted and hard limits are enforced.

Do you actually need to do something every time that it's exceeded, so
QEMU needs to be the active part sending out an event, or is it
something that you need to check in specific places and could reasonably
query on demand?

For the latter, my idea would have been adding a new read-only QOM
property to the throttle group object that exposes how much is still
left. When it becomes 0, the hard limits are enforced.

> There seems to be something wrong in the throttling code anyway.
> Throttling causes addtional i/o latency always even if the actual iops
> rate is far away from the limits and ever more far away from the burst
> limits. I will dig into this.
>
> My wishlist:
>
>  - have a possibility to query the throttling state.
>  - have counters for no of delayed ops and for how long they were delayed.
>  - have counters for untrottled <= 4k request performance for a backend
> storage device.
>
> The later two seem not trivial as you mentioned.

Do you need the information per throttle node or per throttle group? For
the latter, the same QOM property approach would work.

Kevin