qemu-devel

Re: QEMU release tagging script?

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: QEMU release tagging script?
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 11:09:09 -0400

On 10/30/20 9:51 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 09:47:04AM -0400, John Snow wrote:
On 10/30/20 9:38 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 13:32, John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> wrote:
Is there a script that's public that you use for tagging the QEMU
release? I see make-release in scripts/, but that's for creating the
tarballs after the tagging has been done.

I use this script:
https://git.linaro.org/people/peter.maydell/misc-scripts.git/tree/qemu-tag-release

Thanks!

I am looking into being able to cut releases for our Python QMP library,
but due to constraints in the Python packaging ecosystem I have not yet
been able to solve, it requires its own VERSION file.

It would be nice if when 5.2.0 is tagged that "0.5.2.0" could be written
into ./python/VERSION as well.

I'm pretty strongly against having the version hardcoded
anywhere except the top level VERSION file. Everything else
should read the information from there.

Yeah, I know. I don't want to do it either, but I don't see an alternative
that works with Python packaging tooling right now.

The problem is that whenever you run an install, (which runs a python
"build"), the source is copied out into a temp directory where it loses all
access to the parent directory and any knowledge of .git.

Perhaps someone has a solution, but I've not found one yet. The authors of
pip are aware of the problem and are working on a solution, but we don't
have one yet.

What does the  copying logic do when it sees a symlink ?   Can you keep
a "VERSION" file in the python subdir that is a symlink to the top level
"VERSION" file, such that when python copies the source files to the temp
dir, it deep copies the symlink content.

It either doesn't copy the symlink at all, or it shallow copies and breaks the link:

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'QEMU_VERSION'

So I am meekly asking for the concession of adding an extra step to the qemu-tag-release script.

--js