qemu-devel

Re: Out-of-Process Device Emulation session at KVM Forum 2020

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: Out-of-Process Device Emulation session at KVM Forum 2020
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 03:51:53 -0400

> A migration compatibility interface has not been determined for vfio.
> We currently rely on the vendor drivers to provide their own internal
> validation and harmlessly reject migration from an incompatible device.
> It would be great if we could make progress on this, but it's a
> difficult problem, and one that I hope we can further address once we
> have a base level of migration support.
>
> It's great to revisit ideas, but proclaiming a uAPI is bad solely
> because the data transfer is opaque, without defining why that's bad,

That makes sense.

I feel what is missing from all of these discussions is comparison
with an existing Out-of-Process solution - namely vhost-user.
As a result I feel the proposals tend to forget some of the
lessons learned designing that interface.

In particular I personally see cross-version and cross vendor
migration as a litmus test: it is a hard problem, one that
1. I do not believe vendors will be motivated enough to solve by themselves
2. I don't believe QEMU will be able to add after the fact
for the reason that "supporting QEMU" will come to not imply any level
of compatibility whatsoever.

That was a hard learned lesson and that's the reason I (and maybe Jason,
too) keep harping on that, not that it's so burningly important by
itself.

I think at this point we have an opportunity to make people document
their interfaces up to a point and also actually somewhat standardize
them, using upstream inclusion as a carrot. Some big vendors will
probably ignore it, small ones hopefully won't. After X years margins
become thin, vendors lose interest, and we are at that point glad we
have standards and documentation.

> evaluating the feasibility and implementation of defining a well
> specified data format rather than protocol, including cross-vendor
> support, or proposing any sort of alternative is not so helpful imo.

For example, with a registry of supported device/vendor/subsystem tuples
and a list of compatibility features and a documented migration data format for
each, maintained in QEMU, with a handshake validating that would create
a kind of a registry documenting what is compatible with what.

That could then serve for debugging, validation, and also
help push people towards more standard interfaces.

That is just one idea.

> Note that we also migrate guest memory as opaque data; we don't require
> knowing the data structures it holds or how regions are used, we simply
> look for changes and transfer the new data.  That's not so different
> from a vendor driver passing us a blob of data as "information it needs
> to replicate the device state at the target."

I don't really understand this argument. At the device level we know
exactly how is each region used: some are IO, some are RAM.
In fact one can migrate between systems released years apart.

--
MST