qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 00/32] VFIO updates 2020-10-26 (for QEMU 5.2 soft-freeze)

From: Cornelia Huck
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/32] VFIO updates 2020-10-26 (for QEMU 5.2 soft-freeze)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 09:11:58 +0100

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 23:42:57 +0000
Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 at 19:39, Alex Williamson
> <alex.williamson@redhat.com> wrote:
> > VFIO update 2020-10-26
> >
> >  * Migration support (Kirti Wankhede)
> >  * s390 DMA limiting (Matthew Rosato)
> >  * zPCI hardware info (Matthew Rosato)
> >  * Lock guard (Amey Narkhede)
> >  * Print fixes (Zhengui li)
>
> I get a conflict here in
> include/standard-headers/linux/fuse.h:
>
> ++<<<<<<< HEAD
>  +#define FUSE_ATTR_FLAGS               (1 << 27)
> ++=======
> + #define FUSE_SUBMOUNTS                (1 << 27)
> ++>>>>>>> remotes/awilliam/tags/vfio-update-20201026.0
>
> I assume these should not both be trying to use the same value,
> so something has gone wrong somewhere. The conflicting commit
> now in master is Max's 97d741cc96dd08 ("linux/fuse.h: Pull in from Linux").
>
> Can you sort out the correct resolution between you, please?
> (My guess is that Max's commit is the erroneous one because
> it doesn't look like it was created via a standard update
> from the kernel headers.)

We should never change things in the synced headers other than via a
headers update (excluding fixups of prior messes.) I'm pointing it out
whenever I see something like that happening, but nobody is going to
catch all of those.

Is there any place where we can have some kind of automatic check on a
pull request for that kind of stuff? We'd need to formalize an "update
headers" commit message, or maybe have the update script write some
kind of "last updated" file?